Twenty Easy Tips & Suggestions for Living A More Eco-Friendly & Sustainable Life
We all should find ways to be more actively sustainable. Our planet requires us to review the way we are living — both individually & as a collective. Following the IPCC report, many people are now looking at ways to live a more eco-friendly life.
Here are 20 easy things that you can do to help put you on the right path:
- Think Before You Dispose of: Donate used items, offer them to family or sell them. It is always better to upcycle them than to throw them away.
- Go Paperless: Many companies will appreciate you saving them the paper (and the hassle). There are options to receive things like bills and bank statements via email or through their app.
- Drink From Tap Water: Plastic single-use bottles have contributed over a million tons of waste into our water streams. Many people believe that bottled water is better, this isn’t true! Municipal water is safe, clean and the more eco-friendly option.
- Think Twice: Apply the ‘think twice’ rule before you buy anything. Ask yourself, ‘why do I want this?’ and ‘do I really NEED it?’
- Walk More: The environment needs us to be more responsible with our transport options. We know that driving is convenient, but most of the time, walking & cycling are just as great! It is a good way to exercise, and the cost on the planet is next to nothing.
- Boycott single-used plastic (as much as possible): Plastic is a great invention, but we are using way too much of it for single-use. If you cut down on your use of plastics, you are taking a stand to see less of it in our oceans, on the floors & in our food!
- Leftovers need love too: Before you head to the bin, think, what could I do with that food. It is bad to waste food & leftovers can serve for a great meal! You can jazz it up and add a new sauce or some more veg to it for a bit of variety.
- Take your tote bag: We know you have heard this before, but it is such an important one. If you take out your tote bag, you avoid buying a plastic bag.
- Clean the green way: Avoid toxic and harmful cleaning products. These are bad for your health and the environment. Instead, switch to eco-friendly options like Homethings and EcoVibe, who help you clean up the sustainable way.
- Switch your bulbs: LEDs use 75% less energy and last up to 35 times longer than your standard bulb! Saving energy and saving money — brilliant!
- Learn to mend things: Throwaway culture is a major problem in this day and age, we are so used to buying as a means to replace. Youtube is a great tool to learn how to do things like sow, DIY & for general upcycling pointers. Mending things properly can give the product a new lease of life & you can get decent use out of it.
- Turn off the tap: This is another point that may seem obvious, but many people waste so much water by doing things like letting the tap run when brushing their teeth. Instead, use the tap when you need to and turn it off when not in use — let’s get into a habit of conserving our water.
- Fair-Trade is the only trade: You can’t be for the planet but not be for the people! Not only does this designation tell you that all the products were ethically sourced, but you’ll also know that everyone is being paid fairly & treated correctly. This is so important.
- Grow your own crop: If you can, look into growing your own food. It is very easy to grow things like herbs, fruits and vegetables. You don’t need tons and tons of space either, just a tiny bit of land and the willpower to tend to them!
- Reusables are your friends: Try to get into a habit of taking out your own reusables. Many restaurants will accept your containers to fill up for takeaways etc.
- Feed the birds: by putting up a native bird feeder, you support the beautiful birds living in your local area. Wildlife is very important, and the more we support them, the easier it is for them to thrive.
- Download the Yayzy App: We help you track your carbon footprint so you can understand your impact on the planet. In addition, we have an array of climate projects that you can offset through. Join the Yayzy movement!
- No need for a receipt: 250 million gallons of oil, 10 million trees, and one billion gallons of water are used each year just to create receipts. How frustrating? Especially when most of them end up in the bin. You have the option to decline the receipt being printed, or if need be, you can have it emailed to you.
- Source your food locally: Not only is this good in terms of supporting the community, but it means your fruit & vegetables are fresh with a much lower carbon footprint attached. You can get fresh produce from places like your local farmers market.
- Learn more: Living a more ‘green’ lifestyle isn’t always easy and it doesn’t look the same for all of us. Education is key! The more you know, the better you can apply the knowledge. Read books, follow inspiring Instagram account (like Yayzy!) & get the information you need to make the right decisions for you, your family & the planet.
We hope you can start to incorporate some of these suggestions into your life. Remember, there is no such thing as the ‘right’ time to start — start now. Start where you are!